It’s an exciting time for Raps fans, as the team’s intrasquad scrimmage wrapped up training camp on Saturday, and the boys will play their first preseason game against European powerhouse Real Madrid tonight.
The game tips off at 7 p.m. ET in the Air Canada Centre. Rookies Terrence Ross and Quincy Acy will get their first taste of competition inside the ACC, while free agent acquisition Landry Fields will be playing his first game there without the blue and orange garb of the New York Knicks. Unfortunately for Raps fans, the two most high-profile newcomers—Kyle Lowry and Jonas Valanciunas—will not be in action, as the team is taking precautionary measures with each.
Still, it should be a satisfying evening for those suffering from hoops starvation. Before we get to the main course that is tonight’s game, though, treat yourselves to some appetizers in today’s edition of Raptors Roundup.
- The Raptors depth was impressive on Saturday, as Mike Ganter of the Toronto Sun pointed out. The competition was fierce throughout, particularly the DeMar DeRozan vs. Terrence Ross battle. Both are big, athletic 2-guards, and the pressure they put on each other should improve both players.
- Aside from improving the team and putting on a show for the fans, the intrasquad scrimmage also provided $52,000 to Feed Nova Scotia, according to Bill Spurr of the Chronicle Herald. About 7,000-8,000 fans showed up for the scrimmage, and all proceeds went to the charity.
- As Doug Smith of the Toronto Star noted, the Raptors will have their hands full with Real Madrid tonight. The Spanish powerhouse features NBA veterans Rudy Fernandez and Sergio Rodriguez, the Chicago Bulls draft pick Nikola Mirotic, a great point guard in Sergio Llull and Lithuanian power forward Martynas Pocius, who recently put on a show at the 2012 London Olympics. I’m still expecting the Raps to win, but it won’t be easy by any means.
- Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun has released his ten-man rotation for the Raps. I won’t ruin the surprise here, but I will say that I agree with his selections. Let’s hope Dwane Casey does too.
- And to conclude today’s Roundup, I give you this video of Quincy Acy dancing to a country song, while JV and Ross look on awkwardly. Enjoy.
Austin Green is the editor of Raptors Rapture. “Like” Raptors Rapture on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @RaptorsRapture for all the latest news and updates about the best damn NBA team from Canada.