DEEP THREE…NOTHING BUT NET!
- The NBA Central Division – I picked Pacers, Bulls, Bucks, Pistons, Cavaliers, and that’s the order as of this writing.
- Charlotte Bobcats – I forecast they would lose 3 of every 4 games, and here they are with a 10-30 mark.
- Oklahoma City Thunder – Just as good, or maybe better, than advertised. Getting Kevin Martin (and other stuff) for James Harden was brilliant. I called them for 59 wins, and they may well roll into the 60s.
- Miami HEAT – On cruise control. They will play hard until they’ve secured home court advantage, after which the Big 3 may not take off their sweats for a number of games. Only an injury can hold them back.
- Denver Nuggets – The only team with a worse early schedule than the Raptors. Lots of home games will spruce up their record. I still like these guys to go deep.
- Minnesota Timberwolves – I’m baffled. I don’t bet, but if I did, they’d be the last team I’d ever put money on.
- Dallas Mavericks – gathering steam for a second-half push, but they may be too late already. The West is crazy-tough.
- New York Knicks – A team which will come back to the pack. They are ahead of the pace I predicted, but I’m still not a believer in their offense.
- Toronto Raptors – I will do an entire post on their first half soon.
- Los Angeles Lakers – Blinded by the light. Too many stars hurt my eyes. I should have paid more attention to the roster’s collective advanced age. I could try the “Everybody got these guys wrong, so I’m OK” cop-out line, but I won’t. My readers should expect me to push back against conventional wisdom when warranted, and I didn’t.
- Los Angeles Clippers – I knew they would be good. In fact they’ve been great.
- Washington Wizards – John Wall was hurt, and no one stepped up. 8 wins? They’ll need 26 more to reach my prediction. As they say in mob movies: “foggetaboudit”
- San Antonio Spurs – Never, ever underestimate this organization (I did – my bad). Tim Duncan must know the location of the Fountain of Youth. Is Tony Parker the least recognized great player of this decade?
- Houston Rockets – I thought Jeremy Lin’s 15 Minute of Fame were over, but he’s been pretty good. James Harden is an MVP candidate (or he would be except for a couple of guys named LeBron James & Kevin Durant). I thought they would be in the basement, but they are at .500.
What have been your surprise teams so far? Drop me a comment.
Brian Boake is a staff writer for Raptors Rapture. “Like” Raptors Rapture on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @RaptorsRapture for all the latest news and updates about the best damn NBA team from Canada.