Perhaps overlooked in the welter of news from Tim Leiweke’s noontime conference call was a discussion about whether the name “Raptors” should be retained. Faithful readers will recall I broached this topic last season when the New Orleans squad decided to switch to Pelicans (oh dear) for next season. Charlotte is going to revert to “Hornets” after next season, so the name game is in full swing across the league.
Let’s take this matter seriously, and have a Poll. I’m going to toss out some names, which you are welcome to reject. If you do, put in your own choice as a Comment. This should be fun. If we get a consensus of opinion around one name in particular, I’ll forward it to the (soon to be former) Raptors’ office.
The new name for Toronto's NBA team should be:
- Huskies - back to the earliest days of the NBA, and Toronto's entry (55%, 185 Votes)
- Raptors! - leave it alone already (34%, 116 Votes)
- Towers - it's a big city, basketball players are huge, it's alliterative (5%, 16 Votes)
- Canadians - Tim Leiweke says he wants to make it Canada's team (3%, 11 Votes)
- Blizzards - suggested by a reader; I like it! (3%, 9 Votes)
- Grizzlies - a team name which makes no sense for Memphis to have (0%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 339
Tags: Toronto Raptors